Well as you saw if you were following the @Save Jersey twitter feed this afternoon, Carl Lewis held his press conference in Mt. Laurel today to announce…nothing, nothing of any consequence anyway. He gave no detailed account into his plans for the future, only stating that there would be plans. We all know what that means.
Here are some highlights from the largely uneventful press conference:
- Carl thanked everyone who worked on his campaign and contributed a ton of energy. Saying its as “all for nothing.”
- He criticized machine politics in LD8.
- Carl Lewis is upset that only 30% of people vote in NJ statewide elections and he wants a higher turnout.
- Carl Lewis is not going away. “Service does not need a title” and he is going to keep hanging around and pushing candidates and issues.
- He claimed he did not speak to the Burlco Dems yet. I don’t really buy that.
- He doesn’t want a write in campaign for him.
- Carl Lewis doesn’t want to run for an office that is a full time position because it would take away from his own life. He will not be running for Governor (as if we had any doubt about that?).
- This is not the end of politics for Carl Lewis (something we have been saying all along).
- Carl is planning to write a book about his failed campaign. He also stressed that his last book is still available if you would like to buy it.
- Lewis closed by quoting Ronald Reagan.
- Finally, Lewis claims that he is NOT interested in running for Congress at all
Anyway, mark my words, this is not the last you are going to see of Carl Lewis in New Jersey politics. Unless of course he goes back to California to run there, you know, where he lives, votes, and pays taxes.
The press conference was pretty anticlimactic. Many of the TV new crews left half way through, if that is not an indication of how much the media cares about what someone who is not allowed to run is doing to do now, then I don’t know what is.