When the New Jersey Education Association (NJEA) decided to dump 100 Election 2013 legislative endorsements over the weekend, its PAC comms team made a point of highlighting that 17 of the lucky candidates were Republicans.
Out of 100, or only 17% for those of you who were unlucky enough to learn math in an Abbott District.
You can check out a full list below the fold, Save Jerseyans…
Savvy readers will notice that NONE of the few GOP endorsees hail from districts considered competitive by the people who keep track of such things. Democrats scored across-the-slate backing in LD1, LD2, LD3, LD14, LD18, LD27 and LD38. Republicans got a little love in districts including LD30 (Ocean County), LD21 (Tom Kean, Jr.’s backyard) and LD7 (Diane Allen) where Democrats would have a better chance of catching a cold in August than scoring an underdog upset.
Virtually all of the GOP endorsees also happen to be party leaders in the State House; for example, Sen. Kean is the Senate leader and comedian Jon Bramnick is the Assembly’s minority leader.
One could be forgiven for inferring that the NJEA leadership is interested in one thing only, and it’s not “educating” your children or advancing its membership. Answer: continuing to serve its political ally and the protector of its monopoly, the N.J. Democrat Party. They’ve already contributed a 7-figure sum to helping protect the Democrats’ legislative majority and, if history is any guide, are likely to shell out even more before it’s all said and done.
All “for the children.” Correct?
NJEA 2013 Legislative Endorsements
- LD 1 Senate: Jeff Van Drew (D); Assembly: Nelson Albano (D) and Bob Andrzejczak (D)
- LD 2 Senate: James Whelan (D); Assembly: Nick Russo (D) and Chris Brown (R)
- LD 3 Senate: Stephen Sweeney (D); Assembly: Celeste Riley (D) and John Burzichelli (D)
- LD 4 Senate: Fred Madden (D); Assembly: Paul Moriarty (D) and Gabriela Mosquera (D)
- LD 5 Senate: Donald Norcross (D); Assembly: Angel Fuentes (D) and Gilbert “Whip” Wilson (D)
- LD 6 Senate: James Beach (D); Assembly: Louis D. Greenwald (D) and Pamela Lampitt (D)
- LD 7 Senate: Diane Allen (R); Assembly: Herb Conaway (D) and Troy Singleton (D)
- LD 8 No endorsements
- LD 9 Senate: Christopher Connors (R); Assembly: Brian Rumpf (R)
- LD 10 Senate: Jim Holzapfel (R); Assembly: David Wolfe (R) and Gregory McGuckin (R)
- LD 11 Assembly: Edward Zipprich (D)
- LD 12 Senate: Raymond D. Dothard (D); Assembly: Ronald Dancer (R) and Robert Clifton (R)
- LD 13 No endorsements
- LD 14 Senate: Linda Greenstein (D); Assembly: Daniel Benson (D) and Wayne DeAngelo (D)
- LD 15 Senate: Shirley Turner (D); Assembly: Bonnie Watson Coleman (D) and Reed Gusciora (D)
- LD 16 Senate: Christian R. Mastondrea (D); Assembly: Marie Corfield (D) and Ida Ochoteco (D)
- LD 17 Senate: Bob Smith (D); Assembly: Joe Egan (D) and Upendra Chivukula (D)
- LD 18 Senate: Peter Barnes (D); Assembly: Pat Diegnan (D) and Nancy Pinkin (D)
- LD 19 Senate: Joe Vitale (D); Assembly: John Wisniewski (D) and Craig Coughlin (D)
- LD 20 Senate: Raymond Lesniak (D); Assembly: Joseph Cryan (D) and Annette Quijano (D)
- LD 21 Senate: Thomas Kean, Jr. (R); Assembly: Jon Bramnick (R) and Nancy Munoz (R)
- LD 22 Senate: Nicholas Scutari (D); Assembly: Linda Stender (D) and Jerry Green (D)
- LD 23 Senate: Gerald Bowers (D); Assembly: John Valentine (D) and Ralph Drake (D)
- LD 24 No endorsements
- LD 25 Pending consideration
- LD 26 Senate: Joe Pennacchio (R); Assembly: Elliot Isibor (D) and Betty Lou DeCroce (R)
- LD 27 Senate: Richard Codey (D); Assembly: Mila Jasey (D) and John McKeon (D)
- LD 28 Senate: Ronald Rice (D); Assembly: Cleopatra Tucker (D) and Ralph Caputo (D)
- LD 29 Senate: M. Teresa Ruiz (D); Assembly: L. Grace Spencer (D) and Alberto Coutinho (D)
- LD 30 Senate: Robert Singer (R); Assembly: David Rible (R)
- LD 31 Senate: Sandra Cunningham (D); Assembly: Charles Mainor (D) and Jason O’Donnell (D)
- LD 32 Senate: Nicholas Sacco (D); Assembly: Vincent Prieto (D) and Angelica Jimenez (D)
- LD 33 Senate: Brian Stack (D); Assembly: Carmelo Garcia (D) and Raj Mukherji (D)
- LD 34 Senate: Nia Gill (D); Assembly: Sheila Oliver (D) and Thomas Giblin (D)
- LD 35 Senate: Nellie Pou (D); Assembly: Benjie Wimberly (D) and Shavonda Sumter (D)
- LD 36 Senate: Paul Sarlo (D); Assembly: Gary Schaer (D) and Marlene Caride (D)
- LD 37 Senate: Loretta Weinberg (D); Assembly: Valerie Vainieri Huttle (D) and Gordon Johnson (D)
- LD 38 Senate: Robert Gordon (D); Assembly: Joe Lagana (D) and Timothy Eustace (D)
- LD 39 Assembly: Donna C. Abene (D) and Holly Schepisi (R)
- LD 40 No endorsements