LG Signs Farm to School Package
By Matt Rooney | The Save Jersey Blog
Allegedly. While Governor Christie was busy campaigning in Illinois on Monday, Acting Governor Kim Guadagno signed a package of “Farm to School” program bills which, among other pro-agriculture items, establish a so-called “clearinghouse” web portal for farmers to provide their produce to schools and food banks:
· A-156 (Space, McHose, Andrzejczak, Riley/Barnes, Oroho) – Requires the Department of Agriculture to post on its website certain information regarding the state’s Farm to School program
· A-2641 (Space, Andrzejczak, Dancer, Wilson/Barnes) – Provides for voluntary contributions on gross income tax returns to support Farm to School and School Gardens programs
· A-2642 (Andrzejczak, Riley, Space, Dancer/Barnes, Oroho) – Allows contributions to the New Jersey Farm to School program
· A-2643 (Space, Riley, Dancer, Wilson, Andrzejczak/Barnes, Oroho) – Establishes “Best in New Jersey ‘Farm to School’ Awards Program” to annually recognize the best Farm to School programs implemented by a school or school district
· A-2644 (Dancer, Andrzejczak, Space, Wilson/Beach, Beck) – Directs the Department of Agriculture to establish a clearinghouse website for farmers to offer produce and dairy products for use by school breakfast programs, school lunch programs and food banks
How does the “clearinghouse” established by A-2644 function with Michelle Obama’s absurd school lunch rules still in place?
And I know “farm to school” is a logical byproduct of the “farm to table” craze, but can the legislature pass a “civics to table” package next? Our kids are starved in more ways than one…
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 SaveJersey.com