By Matt Rooney | The Save Jersey Blog
Governor Chris Christie’s scrap with the National Rifle Association (NRA) made headlines last week and generated a limited yet loud backlash from at least one prominent Republican.
This week, the NRA’s legislative action wing is voluntarily entering the realm of New Jersey politics to oppose a series of new gun control measures pushed by the Democrat majority. The gun grab is hardly restricted to Feinstein’s machinations in D.C…
NRA operatives are taking aim at six (6) bills in particular:
· Assembly Bill 3664 sponsored by Representatives Joseph Cryan (D-20), Jason O’Donnell (D-31), and Mila Jasey (D-27) reduces lawful maximum capacity of certain ammunition magazines in New Jersey.
· Assembly Bill 3676 sponsored by Representative Angelica Jimenez (D-32) requires a psychological evaluation and in-home inspection as prerequisite to purchase firearm.
· Assembly Bill 3688 sponsored by Representatives Charles Mainor (D-31) and Angelica Jimenez (D-32) requires a mental health evaluation and list of household members with mental illness before one may purchase firearm.
· Senate Bill 2464 sponsored by Senator Shirley Turner (D-15) regulates the sale and transfer of rifle and shotgun ammunition.
· Assembly Bill 3659 sponsored by Representative Peter Barnes (D-18) revises the definition of destructive device to include certain weapons of 50 caliber or greater.
· Assembly Bill 3666 sponsored by Representatives Joseph Cryan (D-20), Jason O’Donnell (D-31), and Mila Jasey (D-27), along with its companion Senate Bill 2465, prohibits mail order, internet, telephone and any other “anonymous method” of ammunition sale or transfer in New Jersey.
The NRA’s plea accompanying this list wasn’t meek…
Instead of introducing reasonable legislation to rationally address existing crime problems and empower the law-abiding to protect themselves and loved ones, anti-gun zealots in the legislature are proposing laws that will only punish law-abiding gun owners.”
Can’t disagree with them there, Save Jerseyans. No honest broker with two brain cells to rub together could in good conscience.
Both President Obama and his fellow Democrats in Trenton have proposed dozens of new yet unimaginative gun control measures over the past few weeks while categorically refusing to seriously address the institutional and cultural problems underlying gun violence, particularly in our primary and secondary educational institutions. Appreciate the irony of liberal politicians tripping over themselves to limit your Second Amendment rights, but politicians remaining curiously silent on the topic of curbing Hollywood’s often-abused First Amendment rights!
It’s a disgrace, and it’s transparently political.
Don’t take it on the chin sitting down, folks.
Click here to find your legislators’ contact information. Call or email TODAY, respectfully yet firmly informing them that any attempt to further diminish your constitutional liberties — particularly without any serious attempt at addressing the true root causes of gun violence — will necessitate your every effort to defeat them at the polls this November.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 SaveJersey.com